Investors in SEIS/EIS
qualifying companies can, depending on their individual circumstances and the
company’s compliance with rules governing SEIS and EIS, enjoy some or all of
the following tax advantages:
You should always take your own tax advice before deciding
whether to invest.
- SEIS/EIS relief (currently 50% for SEIS and 30% for EIS of the
amount of the investment) against income tax liability in the year of
investment, subject to an ability to carry back relief to the immediately
preceding year in certain circumstances.
- Exemption from Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on the disposal of SEIS/EIS
shares in SEIS/EIS Qualifying Companies after a three year holding period,
provided that disqualifying events have not occurred.
- Unlimited deferral of capital gains from the previous three years or
the subsequent 12 months.
- Income tax or CGT relief for a loss on disposal of EIS shares; and
- Inheritance tax exemption after two years.